Forum of Australian Chief Scientists
The Forum of Australian Chief Scientists (FACS) brings together Australia’s Chief Scientist and Chief Scientists, or relevant representatives, from the Australian states and territories. It provides an avenue to share information about common issues and challenges related to science, technology and innovation that are of national importance.
Meetings are held two to three times a year. Recent meetings have included discussion on issues relating to quantum technologies, AI, mRNA vaccine capability, biodiscovery, research infrastructure and advanced manufacturing.
The FACS members are:
- Dr Cathy Foley AO, Australia’s Chief Scientist, (Chair)
- Professor Hugh Durrant-Whyte, New South Wales Chief Scientist and Engineer
- Professor Hugh Possingham, Queensland Chief Scientist
- Dr Amanda Caples, Victoria’s Lead Scientist
- Professor Peter Klinken AC, Chief Scientist of Western Australia
- Professor Caroline McMillen AO, Chief Scientist for South Australia
- Mr Stan Corrigan, Director, Science and Technology, Tasmanian Department of State Growth
- Mr Martin Redhead, Director, Business Innovation, Northern Territory Department of Industry, Tourism and Trade
In recent times, Professor Juliet Gerrard, the New Zealand Prime Minister’s Chief Science Advisor, has been an invited special guest of the Forum, providing an opportunity to foster trans-Tasman collaboration.